Bulk gold-plated jewelry has become one of the most favorable options for bulk jewelry buyers. Meanwhile, due to the affordability, practicality, and attractive appearance, gold-plated jewelry has won the affection of so many fashion jewelry lovers, thus becoming the most hot-selling bulk jewelry item for jewelry retailers.
However, when you purchase bulk gold-plated jewelry, in addition to its good features, it is inevitable for gold-plated jewelry to fade away after using for a long period of time. Therefore, leaning how to prevent the tarnishing issues of the bulk gold-plated jewelry is essential.
In this blog, we will introduce you some useful ways to clean gold-plated jewelry from tarnishing to let it look brand new. Let’s take a look!
What is gold-plated jewelry?
Simply put, gold-plating is a type of electroplating, which uses electricity to bind a thin layer of gold to the surface of another metal. Generally speaking, the gold-plated jewelry is much more affordable than the gold jewelry, however, it is also considered as the real gold. This is because, in the gold jewelry market, almost all the gold jewelry is the combination of pure gold and other metal.
What metals are generally gold plated?
There are lots of metals can be used for gold plating, and the common metals are the silver and copper. However, other metals include:
Bulk gold-plated jewelry is easy to tarnish?
Actually, almost all the jewelry will tarnish, but for plated jewelry, like silver-plated, gold-plated jewelry will fade faster than a pure gold alloy jewelry. Because the layer of the bulk gold-plated jewelry is very thin, meanwhile, the gold is also a very soft metal, therefore, the tarnishing process will be faster compared with other jewelry pieces.
However, how long should bulk gold-plated jewelry last?
That is depended on the thickness of the gold layer. Typically, the gold payer should be at least 0.5 microns in the thickness. However, if the gold plating layer is thicker, it will last longer than the thin ones. For example, let’s say that you wear your gold-plated jewelry on a daily basis, and the layer is around 0.5 microns, it will last up to 2 years or more.
Why does gold-plated jewelry tarnish?
There are several reasons why gold-plated jewelry tarnishes. However, most of them are due to the reactions with the external coating.
Generally speaking, the coating of gold plated jewelry is thin, therefore, it is easy to wear and expose its base metal after wearing for a long period of time.
In addition, the gold plated jewelry is easy to turn black due to the dirt, grease sweat and so on.
Moreover, when the gold plated jewelry comes into contact with cosmetics, it is easy to cause chemical reactions, thus making it turn black.
How to prevent your gold-plated jewelry from blackening?
To maintain the original luster of the gold layer, here are some prevention tips for daily care:
- Minimize the exposure to skin oils: keep your hands clean and dry as long as you touch your gold-plated jewelry.
- Reduce friction on your gold-plated jewelry.
- Remove it before swimming.
- Keep your gold-plated jewelry aways from cosmetics.
- Avoid harsh chemical or abrasive cleaners.
- Clean your gold-plated jewelry every time you take it off.
- Completely dry your jewelry before storing it in a jewelry box.
How to clean your gold plated jewelry?
- Add 2 drops of dishwashing liquid with a cup of water.
- Dip your gold jewelry in the solution for 5-10 mins.
- Gentle wipe it with a soft cotton cloth.
- Prepare a bowl of warm soap water.
- Dip the jewelry for 5-10 min.
- Take it out and use the toothbrush to clean the dirt on the surface.
- Rinse it again in the soap water.
- Gentle wipe it with the soft cloth.
Aluminum foil and baking soda
- Turn the shiny side of the aluminum foil up.
- Add a spoon of baking soda and salt into the bowl.
- 1-2 cups hot water to the bowl.
- Drop your gold-plated jewelry in it for at least 10 min.
- Rinse it off the warm water.
- Wipe it with the soft cloth.
Is bulk gold-plated jewelry worth buying?
Each jewelry has the own advantages and disadvantages. If you are a bulk jewelry buyer, then this is depended on your customers needs. If you want to provide cheap fashion jewelry to your customers for daily use, then purchasing bulk gold-plated jewelry is a wonderful option. Because compared with other bulk jewelry, like silver and pure gold, purchasing bulk gold-plated jewelry can be a much more cost-effective solution.
Here are some advantages and disadvantage of the gold-plated jewelry:
- More affordable
- A wide variety of fashion styles
- Easy for daily wear
- Low resale value
- Easy to tarnish
- Easy allergy (depended on the base metal)
Buying bulk gold-plated jewelry by the kilo?
You might be familiar with buying jewelry by the bulk. However, have you ever heard of buying it by the kilogram?
Compared with the traditional way of bulk buying, this is a much budget-friendly way of buying wholesale jewelry.
For buying gold-plated jewelry, just as we have mentioned before, it has both advantages and disadvantages. Actually, the gold-plated jewelry has been ever-increasing in popularity. The best way of buying bulk gold-plated jewelry for good resale, is to purchase those with high quality. Therefore, a perfect way to achieve this with low cost, is to buy jewelry by the kilo.
For example, on Jewelrykg.com, you can select all the hot-selling good quality bulk gold-plated jewelry you like, no matter what kind of styles, and then all the jewelry will be calculated by weight. Generally speaking, compared with buying by the bulk, buying by the kilo will help you save up to 30%.
In conclusion, this article is about the basic knowledge of gold-plated jewelry and the cleaning tips. However, in the end of the article, we introduce a brand new sales model: jewelry wholesale by the kilo, it’s advisable to give it a try for more quality affordable bulk gold-plated jewelry pieces.
Who are we?
We are Jewelrykg, your best reliable friend. We sell high quality fine jewelry by the kilo. Purchasing jewelry can be a complicated process—especially when you’re running a business. So, we’re here to simplify things for you by offering the widest selection of jewelry at the best prices possible.
Here are our advantages:
- Rich product line, diversified product styles per kilogram, and suitable for self-use or wholesale sales.
- Independent packages, no rust, no oxidation.
- Top quality, all the jewelry pieces have integrity, no rust, no oxidation.
- Complete after-sales system.
- Free selection. Styles are sent randomly and full of surprises.
Thank you for reading this post, hope we can provide you some helpful information. If you like this guide, don’t forget to share it. We welcome any suggestions and opinions.
If you want to explore more beautiful wholesale jewelry pieces, you can click here to find more!